Monday, May 28, 2012

I aint dropping no eaves sir, I promise.

If you are going to have deeply personal conversations in inappropriate places, I reserve the right to eavesdrop on you.

The other night I was out at a bar with a few friends of mine, and there were these two people having a not so quiet conversation in the hallway, right outside the woman's bathroom. Naturally I ignored them to the best of my ability as I walked past, but every now and again you hear a bit of conversation that no matter how polite you intend to be you cant ignore...something along the lines of "I don't just want to be one of those girls your just friends with" followed by, "Well, I don't see a choice, I mean, its either that, or not be in my life."

Naturally a statement like that piqued my interest. I mean, I'm a writer afterall, at least that's the excuse I give when I completely over exaggerate the truth, or am caught eavesdropping.

I've often found other people's conversations great starting points for dialogue. What can sound more real than a real conversation. Except, people never read the way they hear, or maybe people never sound the way they write? I think what I'm trying to say, badly, is that theirs an art in transposing conversation into dialogue, and vise versa. Its why I dont write plays. I have however started a new project, it's more in the tone of my blog voice than my fiction voice, and its first person,and its urban fantasy, kinda.

Right now I'm just keeping it light and fun, and seeing where it takes me. I've needed a break from Sacrifice for a while, and I've realized that a break from Sacrifice doesn't mean I shouldn't be writing at all, which is what my previous break from Sacrifice has looked like.

And in other news, the month of June is impossible. I've decided I dont want to do it. But more on that Wednesday, which isn't June yet, so I'll not be hibernating. Oh, and I'm probably going on a date today, so that will be fun/interesting/terrifying, but don't worry,  I'll make sure to post my public humiliation for entertainment.

Do you easedrop in the name of art?

2 comments:

  1. I am an eavesdropper too. Unashamedly. Be careful what you say around me; it may one day be a fictional scene...lol
    Have fun on your date!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eavesdropping. Not that I go out of my way to do it, but when it happens you can get some interesting stuff. Which is why I also just like talking to random people.

    ReplyDelete